Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Day After

Did you vote yesterday? I did. J needed to go to the polls with an adult as a homework assignment or he had to write a report on the election results. What child wouldn't chose the easy way out?! I guess that is one way to get people out to the polls. I don't mind voting for local elections, but the presidential election is a waste of time for me.
Before you get all upset and start in on how it is my duty to vote give me a minute to explain. I agree, it is my duty to vote, and I do in every presidential election since I was 18. But my political science class ruined the process for me. I used to envision that my vote was counted with everyone elses and that it actually determined who the next president would be. Then I learned the truth!
My vote counts only in that it assists in determining which party in my state will be allowed to cast a vote in December for president. That is our electoral college at work. In my state, the electoral representatives are not required to even vote according to the popular vote results. So basically, I vote, if enough people vote the way I do then that party wins the right to vote in the electoral college elections where they may or may not vote for the same candidate I voted for. (You can read more about the process by clicking here) It was kind of a let down for me. It is also the reason my dear hubby doesn't vote. He feels like his vote doesn't actually count so he just doesn't do it.
Enough of the history lesson, I voted and did my duty. I won't say who I voted for, but I will say that it will be interesting to see how the next 4 years turn out.
Below is the pattern I promised last week. Enjoy!