Monday, May 4, 2009

Monday Musings

(please click the picture to download a better resolution of the card to your computer)

This weeks scripture card is a little different than in the past. A few weeks ago I asked for readers to share their favorite scripture, or one that had a special meaning to them, for me to use to make a card from. One reader emailed her response to me and it touched my heart. Doreen has graciously allowed me to share her story about why Matthew 6:26 is a special verse for her.
“When our first-born son was born prematurely, I had been hospitalized for 3 days before the birth as my waters had broke and my husband and I had been reading the Bible and found this quote to be so comforting. Our son, Matthew lived for 3 weeks, he was born healthy but complications arose and he had to have surgery in his stomach and then Our Father called him Home. We had shared our experience with the Gideons (who distribute copies of the Bible in hotel rooms, airports, prisons, etc.) and we recounted our experience and asked if we could have a few copes to distribute to our family and friends in Matthew's name. They wrote back saying they were so touched by our letter that although they did not usually do this, they were sending us a boxful of pocketsize Bibles. We were so happy that we could do this as we felt that through Matthew more people would be reading the Bible.”
I have to say that losing a child is a terrible experience, and it can make you closer to God, or for some it can push them away. God can use anything that we experience for good. Doreen was able to see how her precious son, only a few weeks old before he left this earth, could bring the word of God to others. While many of us may have shaken our fists at God and asked why, Doreen was able to see the blessing that little Matthew was, even if for a very short time.
I have to admit that when my husband and I went through a miscarriage very early in our marriage, I was one of the fist shakers. I didn’t understand why He would bless us with a child only to take the baby away before we got a chance to see him or her. Looking back I realize that the experience helped to bring my husband and I closer together. I don’t know what God’s purpose was in calling our baby home before birth, or calling little Matthew home after a few short weeks, but I do know that God has a plan:
For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. (Jeremiah 29:11)
I just need to trust in His plan and His purpose for my life. Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails. (Proverbs 19:21)
Thank you Doreen for sharing your story and reminding us that while we may not always understand what is happening in our lives, God does provide for us and He has a plan for each of us that will prevail!