Friday, June 5, 2009

Five Freebies Friday

The end is near!!! Or at least it is near for a little while. Today is the last day of school for the kids, and hopefully the beginning of a relaxing summer, at least for a week. I just have to get through J's Upwards Soccer award ceremony tonight and the girls Girl Scout bridging/Court of Awards picnic on Sunday afternoon. After that I have 1 week with absolutely nothing to do. After that it all starts again. J begins middle school soccer practice for a week. After that H and J will be attending Summer Academy where they will be learning about Native Americans for two weeks. Then we have a month off until soccer practice begins again.

Please, someone remind me next year as school is coming to a close to go ahead and schedule an appointment with the pediatrician for athletic physicals! Last night I stood in line with the 4 kids for two hours to get J a physical so that he could participate in soccer practice week after next. It was nuts! The physical therapy center was offering physicals for $5 (can't beat the price!) but only for 1 1/2 hours and only for the first 400 students. I thought I was being smart to get there 20 minutes early, but apparently 300 other people thought ahead enough to get there early also. Still, we got the physical done and he is ready to play.

I also finished teacher gifts early this morning. (I know, I know, but that is the procrastinator in me coming out!) J's teacher is getting a jar mix for "Sweetie Bars in a Jar" with a label that says "Mrs. M_____ is a Sweetie" with graphics on it similiar to the one for the popcorn wrapper I posted yesterday, a popcorn box with popcorn and Blockbuster gift certificate, a flower pot pen, a birdhouse, and a framed print out of "The Creation of Teachers" all in a basket. Needless to say she has been a phenomenal teacher as I have never given a teacher this much stuff. She is only the second teacher that didn't prejudge J based upon his ADHD and that really saw him for what he is. She connected with him and he went from hating school to not being able to wait to get out the door and go. I truly believe that she was a gift from God for him and me this past year and that He placed her in his life to allow him to see that he truly is all the things his mommy and daddy keep telling him he is. His confidence has improved, he made several new friends this year, and he actually tutored other students in class. The change in him has been very positive and I give her the credit for it.

Anyway, now that I may get a little free time on my hands, I have a few pattern ideas floating around in my head so be on the lookout for new patterns this summer. Now that I have all of the rambling out of the way, on to this weeks 5 freebies. Let me begin by apologizing to those of you who live outside the U.S. Unfortunately I tend to search for freebies that will benefit my family which means that most of the offers that I post are only available to US residents. I didn't realize this until it was brought to my attention. Again, I apologize.

R.E.I. is offering children "binoculars that turn into other cool tools including a compass, signal mirror, magnifying glass and more" for participating in their passport to adventure program. Totally free and a great ay to inspire the family to get outside!

Burt's Bees is again giving away 1,000 lip balms today before noon. As of this posting the give away has not yet begun so you may still get lucky!

I admit, I'm not real big on car bumper stickers. That being said, I like this one that says, "Changing more than diapers!". Get yours here.

Today is national doughnut day. To celebrate, Krispy Kreme is giving away 1 free doughnut to everyone who walks in the door, no additional purchase necessary!

Starting June 9th, Seventeen magazine is giving away pairs of Havainas flip flops. Just enter the code "flipflops". They are only giving away 3,000 of them so get there early!

Also, check with your local national park as they are offering many free admission weekends this summer. That's it for today! Have a great weekend!