Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Christmas here I come...slowly

My poor house is so confused!  Right now I have my Christmas lights and nativity up outside, pumpkins and sunflowers everywhere inside (Fall decorations) and a half naked Christmas tree in the corner.  Poor thing only has lights and an angel on it.  It does, however, have some presents under it!

Christmas is slowly starting to take over my house.  The problem is that all of the Christmas stuff is under the stairs.  You can only access this area through a door in my bedroom.  What is so bad about that?  Hubby is working nights which means I pull out the boxes on weekends, or in the evening after dinner when my house goes into chaos mode.  Every weekend from now until Christmas is booked solid!  So, I decorate in spurts when the mood and availability of the decorations overlap.  I figure that by the time I get everything out it will be time to start taking it down and maybe it will all be down by Easter!  LOL

Along with the Christmas season comes desserts!  I love to bake or make different deserts that are finger foods to give as gifts to friends and family.  I decided to share some of these with you, my readers.  I don't promise that all of them are quick to make, but I do promise that all of them are yummy!

That being said, this weeks recipe is VERY easy to make, although it is VERY messy.  I came across it on a craft board that I visit often.  There are a great bunch of crafters there and it is a very caring community.  That being said, here is the recipe:


Cake Balls
You will need:
1 cake mix of your choice and ingredients to make cake

1 can of ready made frosting of your choice
1 package of chocolate or almond bark (found in your baking aisle) or you can use any flavor baking chips

Directions:
 Make the cake according to the package directions.  It doesn't matter what size pan you use just cook the cake.  When the cake has cooled break it up into small and place the pieces in a bowl.  Stir in the entire can of frosting.  Here comes the messy part, unless you are one of those fortunate people that have a melon baller or a tablespoon size scoop.  I put on gloves for this part.  Using about a tablespoon amount of this glop, form a ball.  Place on a cookie sheet covered with parchment or wax paper.  When you have balled all of the mix, place the sheet in the freezer until frozen solid.  Melt bark or chips.  Remove balls from the freezer and dip each ball into the melted bark or chips.  Allow excess to drain off and then place back on the sheet.  Repeat until all of the balls are covered.  Allow bark or chips to set before touching the balls.  If desired you can roll them in nuts, coconut, or any other desired topping while the bark or chips are still wet.  


Be creative with your combination, how about strawberry cake and icing with chocolate? or chocolate cake with cherry nut icing? or chocolate cake with caramel icing dipped in chocolate and rolled in coconut? The possibilities are endless!


Love,