Saturday, January 31, 2009

Laundry

Psalm 51:10, 12, "Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me." (NIV)

This verse was in my devotion today. It was a simple message from Proverbs 31 about laundry. Like the the author, Gina Parcells, the laundry in my house never ends. I swear I think that it breeds! With six of us now laundry is a daily chore and it seems that no matter how hard we work to get it all done, as soon as that last piece in taken out of the dryer, folded and placed in the basket, a new load of dirty laundry is ready to be washed. Gina talks about how laundry is like our sin. It seems to always be there, always reminding us that we are not yet done. Like Gina, I too neglect to give all of my "laundry" to God like I should. I also have some sins in my life that are "like favorite shirts, that I am resistant to take off". I hadn't really thought about it that way before reading her devotion. I wonder if God gets as frustrated with watching me wear my sin over and over without washing it as I get when I see my children wear their favorite clothes to school day in and day out.

Does God ever want to just say "Hey! You wore that yesterday, look at the stains on it and just smell it! It stinks! Take it off and put it in the wash!" I know I have said that to my kids about their favorite clothes. It is an interesting analogy for me. God stands there, waiting for me to give him my dirty laundry, wanting to clean it but unable to until I am willing to take it off and give it to Him. I tend to go through the day focused on everything else. I thank God for another day, for blessing me with more time with my husband and children. I ask Him to find a way to use me that day. I thank Him for the food, the shelter, for providing a new job for my husband, for a wonderful church family, and so many other things. I don't however ask him to cleanse my heart of everything. I don't take off my favorite shirt and give it to him.

That is my only difference with Gina, I don't want to ask for God to clean my favorite shirt, I want to be able to give it to Him for Him to keep - I don't want it back. I want to be willing to give up my sins, to turn away from them. If you didn't read the devotion, you can read it by clicking here What is your favorite shirt that you don't want to take off? Maybe it is time for you to take a moment and talk with God also. I know it was for me!