Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Wecipe Wednesday

This one is one of my own that I adapted from a cook book to suit our tastes. We use a sugar free syrup with it and typically have to make a double batch. I have also been known to make a huge batch and then freeze them. They are just the right size to pop into the toaster for a quick fix homemade breakfast. Hope that you like them!

Oatmeal cinnamon Pancakes
Ingredients:
2 large eggs
1 cup uncooked old-fashion oatmeal
1 cup all-purpose or whole wheat flour
1.5 cups 1% milk
2 Tbsp packed brown sugar
2 Tbsp canola oil
2 Tbsp unsweetened applesauce
6 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Directions
place oatmeal into a blender and pulse until it has the consistency of flour. In a bowl beat eggs until fluffy. Beat in remaining ingredients just until smooth. Heat griddle or skillet over medium heat or to 375 degrees. If necessary spray with a non-stick spray.

Pour slightly less than 1/4 cup of batter onto griddle. Cook until pancakes have puffed and are dry around the edges. Flip and cook other side until golden brown.
Makes 18 4 inch pancakes.

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 6
Amount Per Serving:
Calories: 241.7
Total Fat: 8.1 g
Cholesterol: 73.7 mg
Sodium: 729.7 mg
Total Carbs: 35.3 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.6 g
Protein: 8.0 g


Now that the recipe is out of the way, an update. I got to sleep!!! Those of you with little ones or that can remember having little ones will understand just how monumental that is. My wonderful husband came home last night and I told him that I absolutely had to get some sleep. After dinner I went and laid down. I read a book for about 30 minutes and then turned all of the lights out. Our bedroom is DARK. Our windows are covered to prevent light from coming in and if you shut the door it is very dark. Within 10 minutes I was asleep. My wonderful husband handled getting all 4 kids in bed, gave baby A a bottle rather than wake me up and I got to sleep an uninterrupted 9 hours! Then an additional 2 hours. I feel like a new woman! I may have to start adding an evening or afternoon nap to my schedule more often since baby A shows no signs of sleeping for 8 uninterrupted hours on her own any time soon. Sleep - I highly recommend it!