Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Wecipe Wednesday

This weeks recipe isn't so much a recipe as an idea. It began with some recent bloodwork that indicated that while my overall cholesterol level is good, my LDL or bad cholesterol level is slightly above ideal. As a result I have been trying to incorporate more foods that combat and lower this level into my diet. This includes increasing my mono and polyunsaturated fats, fiber, and niacin intake. That endeavor led to the discovery of this little snack I am going to share with you.

Celery is a great source of niacin, and low in calories to boot, but not very flavorful. I found I could only eat so many stalks of peanut butter (high in mono fats) slathered celery. In an effort to change things up I mixed about 1 tablespoon of peanut butter with 2 tablespoons of Dannon Light & Fit Vanilla yogurt to use as a dip for the celery. It turned out great! It has a bit of zing to it, enabled me to eat more celery with less peanut butter (decreasing the calorie count) and yet still get the benefits of the mono fat. If you have every had a Pampered Chef taffy apple pizza, this tastes similiar to the peanut butter sauce. Anyway, this dip also tastes great with apples. Haven't tried it with anything else at this time so if you give this a try with something other than celery or apples please let me know how it turned out!

Love,