Friday, October 16, 2009

5 Freebies Friday

Today has been pumpkin day! Last night I roasted a pumpkin and pureed the meat(???) in preparation of a dish I am planning to bring to the church lunch this Sunday. I know that a lot of people say you should only use the small pumpkins to make pumpkin puree for baking, but I ALWAYS use the large, regular pumpkins and I get a really good flavor from them. They do end up more stringy after roasting but if you puree it you can't tell the difference.

I ended up with about 15-20 cups of pumpkin puree! So today baby A and I made pumpkin muffins and roasted pumpkin seeds. Well, I cooked and baby A got shooed out of the kitched every time I had to open the oven to stir the seeds but she got to taste test the muffins and seeds and both got her seal of approval! (In other words she kept going back into the kitchen pointing on the counter where everything was and saying "bite!") Now to be honest, I messed up the muffin recipe. I was transcribing from the computer screen onto scrap paper while baby A kept bringing me her toy phone to "talk" on and then screaming because I had her phone. so I was trying to write, keep the laptop away from her fingers, talk on the toy phone long enough that she didn't think I was ignoring her and scream but not so long that she thought I was hogging it and scream since hubby is trying to sleep. (Have I mentioned that I hate him working nights again!) As a result I transcribed incorrectly and thought I needed an entire 15 oz can of pumpkin which translates into 2 cups pumpkin puree. The recipe ACTUALLY called for 1 cup pumpkin from a 15 oz can. Oh well, they taste really pumpkiny (is that a word?) The recipe is used can be found at Smitten Kitchen for the muffins. I made my own pumpkin pie spice using 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ginger, 1/8 tsp cloves and 1/8 tsp nutmeg. (use all of this as the sub for 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice or you can cut the cinnamon in half and keep everything else the same) Here are my muffins:
I also tried something new with the pumkin seeds. Hubby doesn't like toasted pumpkin seeds and since pumpkin seeds help lower cholesterol, prevent prostate problems, help with bladder problems, treat depression, prevent osteoperosis, are an anti-inflamatory, prevent kidney stones, can help prevent many cancers and 1/2 cup contains almost all of your daily dose of magnesium (which most of us don't get!) I really would like for him, and all of us, to give them a try again. (You can check out the benefits of magnesium by clicking here and about the benefits of pumpkin seeds here) So I tried a new recipe that sounded like it would be similar to the flavor of Chex Mix. I like it, and so does baby A, but the flavor is weak. I will double everyting but the margerine (I used 1 Tbsp of Olive oil instead of the margerine anyway) next time I make these. You can find the recipe on AllRecipe.com These are mine:So, on to this weeks five freebies.

Free copy of The Purpose of Christmas by Rick Warren This one is limited so better get to it quick!

While I much prefer to curl up with a real paper book, I know that many of you want the benefits of listening to audio books. You can download hundreds (over 400) of free audio books at AudioBooks.net

Free $5 Kohl's gift card if you join their mailing list. You will also get a coupon for 10% of your next online Kohl's purchase.

3 free bead jewelry Make and Takes at Michael's craft stores tomorrow. These are a while supplies last event so don't put it off!

Finally calendars - Back to the Bible calendar, devotional calendar from Ron Hutchcraft ministries, Women's health calendar, Joyce Meyers calendar, New Yorker poster calendar, IRS calendar, and Pulp fiction desk calendar to get you started. All of these are actual calendars, not downloads.

Have a great weekend!
Love,