Friday, June 11, 2010

Sewing again!!!

I missed sewing.  It has been quite a while since I have pulled out my trusty friend and put it to good use.  But no more!  In the last 7 days I have made 2 projects that have birthed a dress and 2 purses!

The dress is my own design, inspired by the many handkerchief dresses I have spotted on the web.  One day I finally sat down and put one together.  Pic to come soon as they were new handkerchiefs and I have never been one to prewash my fabric so the dress is quite stiff on baby A.  I plan to post a tut on how to make it as well.

My second project was more than 2 years coming.  I bought the fabric about 2 1/2 years ago intending to make me a purse for spring modeled after the Longerberger purses that look like brown bags.  Never got to it.  When I came across the pattern for the Buttercup Bag from Made by Rae I just knew I had to make it.  However, I realized that the material was WAY to young for me (can you see a past 35 year old woman carrying the purse below?  Maybe, but could you see her without snickering under your breath?  I didn't think so!) and decided to make one for H and baby A.

Those are little frogs going up and down the purses.  (I bought it thinking "what a great reminder to carry around to always Fully Rely On God")  To make the smaller purse I shrunk the pattern by 60% and cut my strap to be 2" by 12" instead of the length and width called for in the original.  The best part, baby A let me get everything cut out before her nap and I was able to finish both purses while she slept and still had time to eat lunch!  Would love to find a simple wallet pattern to make for H with the scrap material.


Love,