Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Halloween Treats! (Wecipe Wednesday a day early)

Fall is my absolute favorite season of the year.  I love the colors, the weather and I love the yummy treats with Halloween and Thanksgiving!

This is the first year I have ever packed lunches for my kids for school.  In years past we just took the easy way out and had them eat whatever the school prepared.  This year, however, I went out and bought the lunch boxes, the juice boxes, and have been having a ball planning the meals and including a special treat for them just to let them know I think they are really awesome kids every Friday.  But this is Halloween week!  That means something creepy in the lunch box every day!

Yesterday they had mummy dogs only I am a cheapskate and didn't use refrigerated dough. I bought one of those cheap, just add water pizza crust mixes.  I mixed up a batch, rolled out some long logs and used those to wrap my mummies.  I ended up with extra dough so I took the logs, sliced one end into several strips to make it look like a broomstick and baked it with the mummy dogs.  Today the broomsticks were packed up with some pizza sauce pureed witch.

In addition to the broomsticks and dipping sauce, I wanted to share my witches boogers and pumpkin poop with you.  Do you remember the old-fashion candy dots that came of strips of paper and you just ate the little dots off of the paper?  I found a recipe for them!  It is really simple.  Just take 2 egg whites and beat them until very frothy.  Slowly add 2 1/2 to 3 cups powdered sugar.  That is it!  I tinted some green and some orange, put them in a piping bag and I used a star tip.  I thought it would make pretty little stars like you get when you use icing.  As you can see below you just get round buttons.





I guess this just isn't stiff enough to hold its shape.  So don't bother trying to get fancy with this.  If you don't have an icing bag and tip, just use a plastic bag and cut a very small hole in one corner.  I cut strips of regular copy paper 2 inches by 11 inches.  Be sure to leave a space at the bottom to label the strips if you want to.  I discovered that you will get tired of piping little dots long before you run out of stuff to pipe!  When that happened I simply drew little ghosties on some paper and filled them in.  I mixed up a small amount of black food coloring (just use one drop of red, blue and green liquid coloring) and used a toothpick to dot eyes and mouths.
It takes about 20 minutes for the dots to be dry to the touch.  Let them sit overnight to dry out completely.  Then I just rolled each strip, secured with a rubber band and tossed it in the lunch box.  Hopefully the kids will enjoy them.  
I case you missed them, look at the pic with the witches boogers again.  Yep, those are eyes!  Look for them to appear in a project coming soon!  Happy Halloween!

I plan to add this to Tip Me Tuesday!
handmade projects

Love,