Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Lent

I have to be honest.  I have never fasted anything for Lent.  I never really understood it.  I didn't grow up in a church and the churches I attended/attend as an adult don't "officially" do Lent.  I heard people talk about it in general terms but it wasn't until recently that I really began to understand what Lent was about.  So, here is what I learned.  In a nutshell the season of Lent is about becoming closer to Jesus through fasting (self-discipline for a spiritual goal), prayer, and giving back.  These are things that I should be doing all year, but this is a time to especially focus on it.

Fasting:  after a lot of self-examination I have decided to give up the internet for all but an hour a day.  (The hour is necessary due to an online Bible study I am participating in as well as checking email for communications with customers and teachers.)  The internet is my biggest time waster and I to often get on to just check something "real quick" only to discover it has been much longer than I thought.  I will have to more be diligent about what I do and focus on what really NEEDS to be done online rather than wasting time.

Prayer:  I seem to do better with prayer when I journal, so I have pulled out my prayer journal again.  I have become the gal who throws up the quick prayer whenever something pops into my head but I don't really spend time in deliberate prayer.  I hope to work on that these next 40 days.  I will also be reading 40 Days With Jesus: Celebrating His Presence during this time.

Giving back:  My goal is to make 40 hats to donate to God's Tiny Angels during this season.  Since I won't be on the computer as much I should have more than enough time to complete this task.

So if you don't "see" me around the internet as much, at least you will know why.  I am hoping that this will help me to draw closer to God and as a result I can feel more peace, which is my goal for the year.    Do you participate in Lent?  If so, I would love for you to share what you are doing so I can pray for you.

Until next time,

1 comments:

Doreen said... Best Blogger Tips[Reply to comment]Best Blogger Templates

Hi Ginny, what an enlightening post. I grew up in a Catholic country/community and as such have always known and 'done' Lent. But understanding and doing the right things and doing them properly comes with time and purpose. I loved how you have planned our your Lent. Thanks for the inspiration.
Blessings,
Doreen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Creative Commons License
This work by Sunflowers At Home is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.