Saturday, July 14, 2012

Family Fun Night...

....without breaking your wallet!

With a family of 5 and the varied taste buds, finding food for a family fun night can be tough. My 3 year old likes simple, my son doesn't like veggies, hubby likes LOTS of veggies and my daughter and I are somewhere in the middle so I wasn't sure that the products being offered by Kroger would please everyone. Boy was I wrong!!

 My hubby ventured to Kroger in search of the perfect pizza and sweet treat for us. When he came home with a whole grain, self-rising pizza crust I was flabbergasted! I didn't know they had whole grain crusts! And lime fruit bars to boot, yummy! While he was gone I had prepared some refried beans and seasoned burger. I spooned a small amount of each into the tortilla scoops and topped them with a mexican cheese blend. Shredded lettuce and sour cream were on the side since not everyone liked those. These little things were a huge hit in my family and so easy to make. I bet they would be good at any type of get together with their bite size portions and pleasing mix of salty, spicy and crunch. I was surprised that there were very few broken bowls in the bag. To be honest I found no difference between these and other name brand tortilla bowls. Who knew we didn't have to sacrifice dollars for quality!



 We unwrapped the pizza and placed it on a pizza pan and put it in the preheated oven.

 We had enough time to play a round of Uno or two before removing it from the oven. I have to say that I was a little disheartened when I first saw it. The crust looked yummy and there was lots of cheese, but the pepperoni must have been really greasy because there was a layer of grease all over the top of the pizza.

 I let it cool some and then dabbed with a paper towel or two before cutting and serving.

 Boy was I glad we didn't give up on it! The texture of the crust was amazing, the sauce was yummy and it had the perfect amount of cheese. I feel like the pepperoni was sliced a little thick for my liking but it had a good taste to it. My kids wanted me to put this on next weeks shopping list and hubby said it was better than that pizza that says, "it's not delivery it's_______" which is a huge compliment since that was the only brand of frozen pissa he would eat!

With out pizza we had some of Kroger's Vitamin enhanced water. Usually I don't like these as they typically feel kind of chalky to me with a weird after taste. We had the tropical flavor and it wasn't bad. My 3 year old deemed it, "mmm, delicious" and hubby said it was tasty. The other two kids wouldn't try it since it had the word vitamin in it. Party poopers!

 That left the lime fruit bars. This was the hit of the night for the kids. The bright green color was attractive to them and they tasted like a fresh limeade. I love being able to give them a sweet treat that is real fruit rather than artificial everything. All in all this was a wonderful evening with the family and one that won't break your wallet or force you to sacrifice yumminess or healthiness. Thanks to Kroger for introducing me to some new foods!


 Until next time,



All the products that I tried in this post were provided to me free of charge as part of the Family Night with Kroger BzzAgent campaign. My only obligation  was to provide an honest review of the products. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.