Wednesday, March 11, 2015

40 in 40 2015 week 3

This week I have another free pattern for you, and this one will remain free as I have no plans to adjust the pattern and offer it in different sizes.  :)  

It has been a week full of just about everything as far as the hats go.  I made a pattern that I really didn't like the outcome, one where the pattern was VERY difficult to follow, one that I fell in love with, and I wrote one of my own.  I'll let you be the judge as to which is which.  So on with the show:

First up is the Melika Baby Hat.  I chose to do the ribbed brim rather than the garter stitch border.  (Directions for both are included in the pattern.)  I really enjoyed this hat and found the pattern well written.  The pattern was just published last month so there aren't a lot of examples of completed projects yet, but I think that the pattern is going to become very popular!



Next is the Tidbit, available as a free Ravelry download.  Another knit pattern in which your color choice really makes the hat.  It is very simple and would be a great project for a beginner knitter.  AND it is available in larger sizes as well.











The Elaborate Spring Beanie was published earlier this month.  The pattern gave no yarn weight, so I used a DK weight yarn.  After some research I discovered I should have used an aran weight yarn.  However, if I had I don't think I would have ended up with a 3-6 month hat.  As you can see, this is a newborn size.  I will say this pattern is NOT written for someone new to crochet or new to reading crochet patterns.  I found parts of the pattern very confusing and difficult to follow.




Next is the Anthro Inspired Baby Hat.  I stumbled upon it while browsing Pinterest and gave it a try.  I LOVE the way it came out, but again had some difficulty with the pattern.  With 80 comments on the pattern page, many of which asking for a clearer explanation, I will again have to say this pattern is not for the faint of heart.  Although that shouldn't be the case because it is basically a granny pattern.  Here are my notes on the pattern:
I omitted rounds 5-7.    What is labeled in rounds 13-14 as a FPTC is actually a BACK post treble crochet. Working a FPTC does not give you the right look. I worked the BPTC for round 13 and a BPDC for round 14. I gave up on the flower. I just couldn’t wrap my head around the instructions.  Instead I used this flower.

This is the Simply Pink Newborn Hat.   I like the detail of the cluster stitches around the brim and the top of the hat.  It works up quickly and the pattern was very easy to follow.













My final hat for this week is my own design, Roots, available as a free PDF download from my Ravelry Store.  Inspired by a cable stitch I saw I decided to work it into a hat design.  When you view it from the top it reminded me of roots growing down into the ground, and thus it was titled Roots.  I used Simply Soft yarn and a size 6 set of DPN for the hat.  It is not a beginner pattern, but easy enough for someone accustomed to working cables.











So there you go, my hats for week 3.  I have to say that I have been really impressed with some of the projects being shared on the FaceBook event page and the Ravelry group page.

Until next time,