Tuesday, April 11, 2017

The Nickis Mossa Adventure

I found this pattern on Ravelry after I finished the 2016 40 in 40 challenge, so I saved it, planning to make it for 2017.  If you aren't familiar with Ravelry, think of it as Pinterest for knit and crochet patterns with a community aspect.  Anyway, I didn't do more than look at the picture when I saved it, not bothering to check out the pattern....

So this year, when I pulled up the pattern to make it, I was disappointed to discover that it was no longer available online.  Then I remembered an awesome tool called "The WayBack Machine".  It's not Mr. Peabody's machine.
Instead of traveling through time and meeting historical figures, this wayback machine
http://archive.org/web/
takes you through time to view websites as they were in the past.  It doesn't always work.  The page has to have been "crawled" while still active and stored.  But if it was, you can view pages that are no longer available.  Fortunately for me, I was able to locate the pattern this way, but........

It was in SWEDISH!  I can't speak or read Swedish.  So another dead end, or so I thought.  You see, Google has this awesome translating tool in which you can input a URL and Google will translate the page for you.  I didn't know if it would work on a archived page, but I was willing to give it a go.....and it worked!  Sort of.....

This is what I got:

Lap 8:3 ch (first pillar), 1 DC, CH 1, 2 DC around first luftmaskebågen, 1 SC around next ch-bow. * 2 DC, CH 1, 2 DC around the same lm-arch, 1 SC around next ch-bow * repeat from * when you crochet around the yard and going up to the first shell and should make last fm so take with first pole in first the cochlea also when fm is done = it gets 12 shells

Closer, but not quite it.  But this is as far as technology was going to get me.  From this point on I was on my own, and I was determined to MAKE. THIS. HAT.!

I pulled out my D hook, a mystery skein of fingering yarn and started working the pattern out.  Below is my adaptation of the original pattern for  Nickis mössa by Linda Forsberg.  It may not be exact, but I feel like the spirit of the pattern has been captured. 



Row 1: make a magic circle, crochet 6 sc

Row 2: Crochet 2 dc  in each stitch = 12 poles

Row 3: Crochet 2 dc  in each stitch = 24 posts

Lap 4: Crochet 1 dc  in the first stitch, and two the next, continue around = 36 posts

Rev 5: Crochet 1 dc  in the first two stitches and then two in the same stitch, continue around  = 48 posts

Lap 6: Crochet 1 dc  in the first three stitches and then two in the same stitch, continue around = 60 posts  turn

Lap 7: ch1, *sc, ch 2, skip 1, sc, ch 2, skip 2 sc  repeat from * around, join to top of 1st sc.  24 ch 2 spaces  turn

Lap 8: 3 ch (counts as a dc), 1 DC, CH 1, 2 DC in first chain space,, 1 SC around next ch-space. * 2 DC, CH 1, 2 DC around the next chain space, 1 SC in next chain space * repeat from * when you crochet around join to top of chain 3 =   12 shells  Turn

Lap 9:4 ch (counts as first dc + 1 ch), 1 DC in first sc, * ch 3, skip the shell, DC, CH 1, DC (a V) in next sc * repeat from *. Sl st to 3rd chain of starting ch 4 = 12 V-stitch and 12 ch 3 spaces.  Turn

Lap 10: sl stitch to chain space at center of the V-stitch, ch 3 (counts as dc), 1 DC, CH 1, 2DC in center V-stitch, sc in chain space of shell from round 8, * 2DC, ch 1, 2DC in center of next V-stitch, sc in chain space of shell from round 8.  Repeat from * around, sl stitch to top of ch 3  = 12 shells  turn

Lap 11:CH 4 (counts as DC + 1 ch), 1 DC in first stitch, *4 ch, skip the shell, in next sc work a V-stitch (dc, ch1, dc_ crochet 1st, CH 1, * repeat from *. Sl st to 3rd chain of beginning ch 4.  12 V-stitches, 12 ch4 spaces.  Turn

Lap 12: sc in chain space of shell from round 10,* 3 DC, CH 1, 3 DC in ch space of V-stitch  from row 11, 1 SC in center of next shell from round 10. * repeat from * end with 3 DC, ch 1, 3 DC in chain space of last V-Stitch, , sl stitch to top of first sc.  12 shells  Turn

Lap 13:4 ch (counts as first pole + 1 ch), 1 DC in first stitch, *5 ch, skip the next shell, DC, CH 1, DC (a V-stitch) in next sc * repeat from *. Sl stitch to 3rd chain of beginning ch 4 = 12 V-stitches, 12 ch 5 spaces  Turn

Lap 14: same as lap 12

Lap 15:4 ch (counts as first pole + 1 ch), 1 DC in first stitch, *6 ch, skip the next shell, DC, CH 1, DC (a V-stitch) in next sc * repeat from *. Sl stitch to 3rd chain of beginning ch 4 = 12 V-stitches, 12 ch 5 spaces  Turn

Lap 16: same as lap 12

Lap 17: same as lap 15

Lap 18: same as lap 12

Lap 19: same as lap 15

Lap 20: : sc in chain space of shell from round 10,* 4 DC, CH 1, 4 DC in ch space of V-stitch  from row 11, 1 SC in center of next shell from round 10. * repeat from * end with 3 DC, ch 1, 3 DC in chain space of last V-Stitch, , sl stitch to top of first sc.  12 shells  Turn

Lap 21: same as lap 15

Lap 22: same as lap 20

Lap 23: same as lap 15

Lap 24: same as lap 20

Lap 25: same as lap 15

Lap 26: same as lap 20

Lap 27: same as lap 15

Lap 28: same as lap 20

Lap 29: same as lap 15

Lap 30: same as lap 20



For the newborn size I only completed the pattern through Lap 22.  And I left each round as "lap", which is the way Google translated the pattern, don't let it confuse you. 

(This was offered as a free pattern online, and is not my own design.  I have simply outlined the steps I took to discover, and translate the pattern and shared my notes based upon that translation.)

Until next time,