Friday, May 8, 2020

Friday Features - May 8

I was saddened to read today that the local pool, a popular gathering place for many families with children and teens, has decided not to open this season at all.  It was disappointing given that my state is currently in the process of reopening.  We have one of the lowest number of Covid-19 infections in the country (only 5 states are lower than we are), and yet three weeks before pool season is to open, they have already made the decision to close for the season.

I am sure they put quite a bit of thought into the decision.  Taking in to account the probable decline in attendance, the cost of staffing and maintaining the pool, the difficulty of finding lifeguards when they may be struggling to get certified due to social distancing, not to mention the increased sanitation protocols that may be required.  I doubt the decision was made lightly.  But it is disheartening that while many of us are being cautiously optimistic that we may return to a more normal life in the near future, we are seeing that the new normal may be very different than what we hope for.  Only time will tell. And whichever side of the Covid-19 situation you may be on, I am sure we can all agree that the eventual goal is to find our way back to a life in which our children can play with their friends, we can grab a cup of coffee with our pals face to face, and we can all return to work. 

The news of the pool, though, did get my fingers itching to create something for those summer gatherings, whether it be a day by the pool, a picnic in the park, or a visit to a farmer's market.  So today's Friday Feature is bags galore!  Something to pack your stuff in and bring it wherever you may go.  So without further ado......



First up is this adorable foldaway mesh bag from Fei at I Heart Gantsilyo.  I have to be honest, I had to look up what gantsilyo was.  It is Filipino for crochet!  Anyways, I love that the mesh is tight enough that small items aren't going to slip through, but it is open enough to not be super bulky.  I also love that it rolls up and secures closed.  That means I can toss it in the back of my car to keep for those spur of the moment Aldi trips.  (For those of you unfamiliar with Aldi, it is a discount grocery store that does not provide free bags.  You either bring your own to pack your groceries in, or you purchase bags from them.)  You can find this pattern here.


I really like the texture on this one, and it is sized to be a great oversized purse, or diaper bag, or whatever you decide to use it for.  And Kat over at Krazy Kabbage includes directions on how to line it too!  You crochet the bottom first and then work the sides perpendicular to the bottom, attaching to the bottom at the end of the rows.   Find this pattern here.



And since I don't want to leave the knitters out, since I am sure you are hungering for some summer bag fun too, here is the Thistle Market bag from Alexandra Tavel of Two of Wands.  This pattern can be easily adjusted smaller or larger.

All the patterns above are offered free of charge.  If you choose to make one, be sure to thank the pattern designer for sharing and let them know I sent you.  Have a great weekend!