Thursday, June 4, 2009

End of the School Year

This school year is quickly coming to an end. Yesterday J's class finally got to launch the rockets that they have been building the last several weeks as part of their Moon, Mars and Beyond unit. It was great watching the excitement of the 5th graders as they placed their rockets on the launch pads, hooked up the ignitor, and then launched them. J's unfortunately got lost. We searched the entire playground looking for it. After the classes went back inside I searched along the roads outside of the fence line and found 3 lost rockets, none were his. Then after school we searched again and found 2 more, neither was his. I am glad that I went and was able to get pictures for him. The launch came close to being canceled due to rain. Fortunately they were able to move it up and all of the students were able to launch before the downpour hit. Here are a few pictures:








While I was at it I remembered that I promised a picture of the 60's dress I made for K in this post. So I got her to take a moment and model for me. Please ignore the fact that she was on the phone! You know how teenagers are. This dress almost got the best of me as I had never done such a fitted pattern before. She liked it though, even though you couldn't tell it was paisley from the audience!





And my final thought to leave you with today is to remember to say thank you to your child's teacher. It is often a thankless job. In most states they are very underpaid for what they do. To that end here is a microwave popcorn wrapper you can use. I am putting it, with a movie rental gift card, into a popcorn box from the Dollar Tree as part of the gift for my children's teachers.
Please click on the image to save a better quality image suitable for printing.