Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Chocolate dipped peanut butter crispy bars

This week's entry isn't a glamourous recipe, but it is a yummy one!  However, a lot of work has gone into the prep of this yummy treat today.  Not that it was at all necessary, but lately I have been intrigued by the bento concept.  What is bento you ask. (at least I hope you are asking otherwise I feel really stupid going on about it.  Are you asking?  even just a little curious?  please say yes!) 

Bento the art of packing meals in a single, compact container that is visually appealing.  Now, I am not yet into the compact single container aspect of it as my kids have their standard lunchbox that requires me to individually package things.  I just can't convince myself to go out and buy a new container this year.  Maybe next year.  But the whole visually appealing thing appeals to me.  Don't believe me?  Check out what I did for Halloween lunches here and here.  That being said I just couldn't make plain jane squares! 

So I packed up Princess A (she's to big to call baby A now!), printed off coupons for AC Moore, Michael's and Hobby Lobby, grabbed the package hubby wanted me to mail and off we went.  I was hunting for some fall shaped cookie cutters in various sizes, a silicone fall muffin pan, and some sort of turkey decorations.  I ended up going to AC Moore and Michael's twice.  AC Moore had nothing I wanted the first go around.  Off to Michaels where I picked up these

with a 40% off coupon.  They also had my silicone muffin pan, but I was sure Hobby Lobby had it on sale for 50% off because they did when I was there just a few days ago.  So off to Hobby Lobby to use my coupon.

Only there was no baking pan.  So I decided to look for some of the infamous food writer pens that I hear about on a lot of the bento websites.  They had been at Hobby Lobby last time I was there.  No such luck!  So I ended up walking out of Hobby Lobby with a $2 package of 15 mini christmas cookie cutters.  Not relevant to this project but I am sure they will come in handy in the future!

So back to Michael's which fortunately honors competitor coupons so I used my Hobby Lobby coupon to purchase my silicone muffin pan.  Which I am also not using today but look for a recipe using it next week!

 That left me with an AC Moore coupon and a desire to own some of those food pens.  Back to AC Moore only to discover that while they have them, even with the coupon the purchase would be more than the cost of the pens at Wal-mart!  So what is a crafty gal to do when she has a coupon and nothing to purchase with it?  Simple, strategically and secretly place the coupon on top of a fellow crafty gals future craft projects in her shopping buggy!  I don't know about you but I would love to be shopping and discover a coupon for 40% off in my buggy.  That means I get to buy more stuff!  Off to Wally World.

By now it is about an hour past Princess A's scheduled naptime.  She is doing well because I had received a new DVD to review in the mail just as I left the house and she was enjoying one of the rare times I allow her to watch movies in the car.  (Look for the review tomorrow)  We arrive at Wal-mart where I purchase marshmallows (that was for today's recipe), and milk.  Back by the milk I notice the reduced bakery rack and grab a loaf of garlic italian bread to go with dinner tonight.  Then I see a display with things for $.25 so I check it out and pick up some halloween colored and fall colored sprinkles as well as some really cute owl and pumpkin cupcake liners.  So I grab those  and go after my food markers and as I am making my way over to the party supplies area (I really miss craft departments!) I notice that kids clothes were on sale.  Of course I had to browse and I ended up buying 2 shirts and a skort for H for Christmas and on the other side of the aisle I saw they had sweatpants out.  H is going to be Cupid in the school play and I have to make a costume so I grab a pair of brown sweatpants.  No brown sweatshirts though.  Finally I make it to the party supply section, purchase my pens and finally head home.

Welcome to a day in my life.  Kind of random and lots of side tracks but the job gets done. That brings me to today's recipe.

Chocolate Dipped Peanut Butter Crispy Bars
You will need:
6 cups crisp rice cereal
1 bag large marshmallows or 4 cups mini marshmallows
3 Tbsp butter or stick margarine
1/2 cup peanut butter
melting chocolate of your choice


In a large pot melt butter.  Add marshmallows and stir until melted.  Remove from heat.  Stir in peanut butter until melted.  Add crisp rice.  Press into a greased 9X13 pan.  Allow to cool.  Cut bars.  Melt chocolate and dip the bottoms of each bar.  Set on wax paper and allow to set up.

I love the acorn and oak leaf.  Not to impressed with the maple leaf for this project.  To cut I just flipped the pan onto the counter and then used my cutters.  For the acorn I dipped the cap in chocolate as well as the bottom.  For the oak leaf I used a spoon to drizzle vein lines.  Hope you enjoy!
Love,