Saturday, June 18, 2011

LOVE

Just wanted to share an easy home dec. project with you.  In case you didn't know, we are teaching Princess A sign language.  When I started this all I really knew was that it was easier for a child to learn a second language when they are young and that I really like sign language (even though at the time I couldn't even fingerspell the entire alphabet!).  So I began researching a word or two at a time and teaching Princess A as well as J and H as we went.  Now I know that this is supposed to really help with language skills, spelling, communication, recall etc.  Hmm, who would have known?!?

I tell you all of that to get to this.  I was sitting at the house one day trying to think of what to hang on my wall when I thought of those picture frames that have the openings for different photos.  In my hallway I have a 10 by 13 of the family and on each side of it is a frame with two openings.  Last year I had 4 kids living in the house so that was perfect.  This year I have an open hole.  (sniff sniff)  I was trying to figure out what to do with that.  Then I thought of fingerspelling a word and patching it together into one picture.  Okay, I haven't done that yet since my new laptop doesn't have my awesome photo editing program on it because the install disk has disappeared and the new one hasn't arrived in the mail yet.  What you say?  Do it on the desktop computer that does have the program?  Have you lost your mind?!?!?  You do realize that computer is NINE years old and has been taken over by kids games and is so slow I can push the power button, take a shower, straighten my hair, put on my makeup and come back just in time to hear the Windows melody as it starts up!  I am almost serious!

Any ways, that concept lead to the creation of this:
A seriously simple project requiring only a camera, printing and a frame.  I used J and H as hand models since Princess A was sleeping.  I switched my camera to black and white mode, had them hold up their letter in front of a piece of black material (okay, black swim trunks but they are MADE of material right!?) and snapped several pictures.  Make sure your lighting is good and take all the pictures at the same time.  (Had to take pics of the "e" later because the sun decided to hide for a while and as a result it turned out lots brighter than the others.)  Also, be sure your batteries are good before you begin shooting.  Otherwise you get fuzzy photos.  Pick your favorite shot of each letter, print or have them printed and then insert into the frame.

I think I may do one that says FAMILY and just cut the little bars between each photo in the mat out so I can fit them in the frame.  Too cheap  frugal to pay for custom framing.  Hope you enjoy the project, now get back to flower making!

Until next time,