Friday, March 7, 2014

40 in 40 (2014) week 1

The first hat this week is the Hurricane Hat designed by Andrea Guldin



I used stash yarn, but I believe it is a Red Heart Super Saver.  The finished hat fits newborn size babies using size 7 needles.  I had to make a few modifications to the pattern to get the correct size.  Here are my notes:

Cast on 52 stitches and work a k2p2 ribbing for about an inch.  Then begin working the pattern.  For the first purl stitch I p2tog to bring it down to 51 stitches.  Continue working the pattern until the hat measures 3.5 inches from the bottom edge.  At that point I began the decreases.  However I kept getting a "cone head" hat so I eventually left out rounds 8, 10, 12, and 14 of the decrease pattern.

I really liked the star pattern that forms at the crown with this pattern!  Super quick to knit up a really easy pattern once you get the hang of it.


Hat number 2 is the Sunday Evening Beanie designed by Julie Barber.  You can find that pattern on Ravelry here.  I love the girly, lacy look.



 I chose to embellish it with a flower.  You can find that pattern here.

And the final hat for today's post is the Gnarly Hat, also available as a free Ravelry download.  Click here for the pattern designed by Diana Troldahl.  I made a few modifications to get a newborn size.  I cast on 56 and then worked the pattern as written for rounds 1-16.  Rather than just make a long tube and gather the top I opted to work the decreases after round 16.  This is what I ended up with:

And here is the top with the decreases:

I will say, I have really missed making things for the babies.  Lately I have been really busy and this is one of the things that I let go of to work in other ministry areas.  I'm glad to be back at it.

Until next time,