Sunday, March 16, 2014

40 in 40 (2014) week 2

Here are this week's hats and pattern links.  I'm having a hard time finding hats for boys that don't all look the same.  I'd like to do some that are unique in which the pattern and design are interesting without looking girly.  I can easily take a basic beanie and use blue yarns, but where is the fun in that?  If you have an idea, please share!

On with the show.....

Saturday's hat was the Cuddles DK Cabled Knotted Hat by Cathy Campbell.  It was the first time I have ever attempted at 3 needle bind off.  I think it would have gone better had I put the stitches on straight needles rather than trying to use the short double ended needles I used to work the hat in the round.  Still, a cute hat that can easily be made for a boy or a girl depending upon your yarn choice.


Monday's hat was the The Baby Scale by Cathy Woods.  It looks a lot like the Crocodile stitch that seems to be so popular now, but it is simply a shell pattern with some fpdc's to make them pop out.  If you grab this pattern from Ravelry, note that it says to use an E hook.  I found that to be WAY to small for even a preemie and switched to the 4.0 hook called for in the pattern.  I also had to omit rounds 12-15 to get a newborn height.

The one thing I didn't like about this pattern is the shift from the crown to the pattern stitches.  There is a definate "bump" transition.  I may play with the pattern in the future to see if I can figure out a way to start the shell pattern from the center out to avoid this.


Tuesday's hat was the Madison by Becca Sheffler.  This is another hat that can be made for either a boy or a girl depending upon your yarn choice.  The 2 stitch cables worked throughout the hat give it an interesting texture and yet it is still a very simple hat.  I used size 7 needles, only CO 72 stitches and only worked 15 rounds before beginning the decreases and still ended up with more of a 3-6 month size rather than newborn.


Wednesday's hat was the Hat in a Hurry by Thomasina Cummings.  I used Naturally Caron Country yarn in coral for this one.  I LOVE this yarn as it is soft and the color is vibrant.  The pattern offers both a boys and girls edging making this yet another unisex hat.  I loved the picot edge for the girl.



Thursday's pattern was one of my own, the Shells and Vines hat.  You can find it here.  I designed this one to match one of my sweater patterns available here.


Friday's pattern was the Wrapped Stitch Baby Hat for Straight Needles designed by Heather Tucker.  I don't like to seam, so I omitted one stitch on each row and worked in on my double pointed needles.  Again, the hat turned out a bit large for a newborn.  Still, this was my first time working a pattern with wrapped stitches.  It is an interesting design feature, if a bit time consuming.


 I liked the crown shaping on this one too.


And the final hat this week, the Emery Beanie by Stephanie MacDerment.  Although the pattern says it was for newborns, I ended up with a preemie size.  I used the flower pattern suggested and worked two petal rounds.  It yields a really stiff flower.



Until next time,