Thursday, May 7, 2009

Never Alone

"So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." Isaiah 41:10

Mother's Day is this weekend. My daughter decided last night that she would like to sing in church on Mother's Day. This isn't unusual for her, singing or deciding at the last minute. She has been blessed with a beautiful voice and very much enjoys singing praises to God. However, she decided to sing a song that we had sung as a duet several years ago at our previous church - and she volunteered me to sing it with her!

Don't get me wrong, my voice isn't horrible. I sang in show choir in high school and I can carry a tune. I just don't like singing in front of people anymore, probably due to the fact that I feel like everyone is staring at me (imagine that!) and I don't like the image that I picture them seeing anymore. That is one of the downfalls about being overweight and VERY conscious of the fact. I picture negativity when I think of people looking at me. While I realize that the congregation would not in a million years be looking at me that way, that is what I see, my own personal hang up. It makes it difficult to focus on the singing. So when she told me she wanted me to sing with her, (after she had volunteered me to do so) my immediate response was NO WAY! But I decided to consult someone else about it, and I prayed. Then I listened to the song again.

The song is "Never Alone" by Jim Brickman and Lady Antebellum. The first time we sang it together I pictured it as a song of love where a mother promises her daughter to always be there for her and gives advice and a daughter promises her mother to stand with her through the years. A wonderful message to be sure. So I pulled out the CD and looked up the words again and sang it a few times. Then I realized...

This song is also a promise from God. Take a look at the lyrics of the chorus alone:

Never alone
I'll be in every beat of your heart
When you face the unknown
Wherever you fly
This isn't goodbye
My love will follow you, stay with you
Baby you're never alone

God will be with us always. What a powerful message. We are truly never alone. Scripture promises over and over that when we accept the gift that was freely given to us, He will be with us, He will help us, He will strengthen us. When you finally realize that God is on your side, how can you not face the things in your life that once appeared to big, to scary, to hard. What can't He overcome?

I don't know about you, but that makes me feel a lot better! I can lose the weight again, with the help of God, even when those cream cheese danishes call to me from the discount rack at Wal-mart! I can quit focusing on my own hang ups and start focusing on the more important things in life. And guess what. I can stand up in front of the church and sing this song with my daughter this Sunday. Looks like I better start practicing again!