Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Wecipe Wednesday

So this is day 3 on the path to the new, smaller me. So far so good in that I have watched what I eat (No, not watched everything enter my mouth! Kept my calorie count low! LOL) and have done all of my exercising. I am definitely paying for it now. My back and shoulders are killing me after yesterdays upper body workout. It will be worth it in the long run.
Given that I am trying to create a new, smaller me, this weeks recipe tastes great, but is low calorie and good for you. It is one I tried off of http://www.sparkrecipe.com/ and was submitted by Jojomke. Hope that you like it as much as I do. I am gonna include the nutrition breakdown for recipes as well for those of you that are concerned about that type of stuff. Here is the direct link for those of you Sparking with me so you can add it to your meal plan.

Applesauce Oatmeal Muffins

1 cup old fashion rolled oats (not instant)
1 cup non-fat milk
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
2 egg whites
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. sugar
raisins or nuts (optional)

Directions:
Soak the oats in milk for about one hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
Spray muffin pan with cooking spray.
Combine the oat mixture with the applesauce and egg whites, and mix until combined.
In a separate bowl measure and whisk the dry ingredients together.
Add wet ingredients to dry and mix until just combined. Add nuts or raisins if desired.
Do not over mix the batter or the muffins will be tough. Spoon muffin mixture into muffin pan.
Combine the cinnamon and sugar and top each muffin with some of the mixture.
Bake for 20-25 minutes or until done.
Remove from pan, cool and enjoy.
These can be frozen and reheated in the microwave for a quick breakfast.

Number of Servings: 12

Nutrition Info

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 93.5
Total Fat: 0.5 g
Cholesterol: 0.4 mg
Sodium: 196.2 mg
Total Carbs: 20.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 1.7 g
Protein: 2.9 g

Hope you like them. I think they taste really yummy and I made them even when I wasn't sparking. My only advise is do NOT use muffin liners with these. For some reason (probably the egg whites) they don't like to release from the liners very well and you may end up eating some paper with your muffin. Hey, what is a little extra fiber gonna hurt? Hope you have a great Wednesday. I am a little excited this Wednesday as my little church is starting a Wednesday prayer and praise service TONIGHT. I have really felt like I needed a midweek pick me up for awhile now, and here it is. Can't wait!