Monday, January 11, 2010

Monday Musings

The kids are back in school after a week of snow that ended up translating as only 1 1/2 days of school.  It was great to have that extra time with them, but I am glad to have some time to myself again.  Especially since last week was my first week trying to count calories, work in 30-45 minutes of exercise a day, and my husband worked every night and had to sleep during the day.  (You try keeping 4 kids quite that are experiencing cabin fever!)  Still, I was able to spend a few extra days playing with them, I did get my exercising in, and I lost almost 5 lbs.

I sat here today and edited the sermon from Sunday to post on the website.  Have you ever sat through a service that didn't seem to apply to you only to glean information that really hits your heart?  That is what happened to me not only on Sunday, but again today.  The sermon was titled, "Who's the Man? Leading your family as God intended" and was an address to the men in the congregation.  On the surface that sounds like it totally does not apply to me.  However, lots of things hit me, such as my needing to step back and let my husband lead.  I was raised to be the one to make all of the decisions and to not rely on anyone else.  My mother made every decision and often told my father he was handling situations incorrectly while she was married.  I believe she did this with the best of intentions, but it isn't how God intended it to work.  I saw ways that I was also doing this to my own husband, just not as openly.  I also saw ways that I should be praying for my husband that I had not been.  Let's just say that there were several things that were pointed out to me that I need to work on.

What really stuck with me was Pastor Doug's final thought.  Many of us hear what we should be doing while sitting in the pew.  Quite often we nod our heads in agreement and our hearts are convicted.  But within the day, or the week we find that we haven't done what we were convicted to do.  I am part of that crowd also.  This isn't a new problem, or a new circumstance.  James even addressed it and that is why I chose James 1:22 as this weeks scripture card.

as always you can download a better resolution image suitable for printing by clicking here  Feel free to share this image in any form, but if you place it in an electronic format (webpage, blog, email etc) please include a link to my blog.

Love,