Thursday, January 28, 2010

Yoga - not for the weak!

As I posted before I am on a weight loss journey again.  I am doing a lot of things different this time around.  Some by choice, others are being forced upon me, and still others I am being led to.

One of the changes is my exercise routine.  Last time around I primarily walked.  It was wonderful in that hubby and I would walk together, just the two of us.  He would set the pace (which was a good thing because he walks much faster than I do) and we would just walk and talk and visit with each other as adults.  We weren't mom and dad, or employee or Sunday School teacher.  We were best friends catching up with each other.  It really did a lot for our relationship in addition to my waist line.  This time around however, he is working nights.  That means morning walks are out because he needs to come home and go to sleep.  He has offered to go walking when he gets home, but I won't be selfish and let him.  If he does walk it will keep him up longer and that means less sleep for an already seriously sleep deprived man.  Nope, no walking this time around.  Instead I Wii.

Now I am not and never have been a gamer.  I never owned a video game growing up.  I didn't dream of going to the arcades and spending my quarters.  I didn't get a video game console until many years after I got married and even then hubby and the kids played, not me.  Then I heard about the Wii, a console made for the video illiterate.  Hmm, sounds like it was made for me.  Hubby surprised me one day and bought the Wii and Wii Fit for me.  I liked Wii, and played with Wii fit on occasion, but you can only do the same thing so many times before you get bored.  Then hubby bought me Wii fit Plus.

This is a major improvement!  It puts together sets of activities for you that vary from day to day and tells you how many calories you have burned when you complete them.  The game mixes up fun mini game type exercises with strength exercises and yoga.  Let me tell you something, yoga really isn't for the weak!  Sure it looks pretty and calming and serene, but it isn't, at least not for me as I stand on my Wii board trying to contort into positions that I haven't been able to get into for years (if ever) and stand there keeping my balance in perfect alignment (as evidenced by a little blue dot on the screen that seems to jiggle around everywhere BUT the yellow circle it is supposed to stay in).  After just a few poses I am sweaty, stinky, and wondering how I ever let myself get in this shape!  Before you get all discouraged yourself though, I need to tell you something else.  After just a few days, that little blue dot spends more time in the yellow circle than out.  Is my form perfect?  I highly doubt it, but I am doing it and it is getting easier.  I can see the difference it is making in my body.  So yoga may not be for the weak, but it will make the weak stronger if they stick with it.

That reminds me of some lyrics to an old hymn I always liked,
I am weak, but Thou art strong;
Jesus, keep me from all wrong;
I’ll be satisfied as long
As I walk, let me walk close to Thee.
Isn't that the truth!  I have come to the realization that I can't do this weight loss thing on my own.  Even with the temporary successes that I have had, they have been just that-temporary.  I am weak and I can't do this without Him.  So I searched out for some Bible studies about weight loss.  There are lots of them out there.  I came across one though that really seems to speak to me so I started it.  If you too are looking for something to bring God into your own weight loss journey check it out and see if it is was God would have you do.  It is called Setting Captives Free ~ The Lord's Table and can be done online as I am doing it, or in small groups or in book format.



So, that is it for my update.  Friday will mark the end of week 4 on my journey to the me I see me as.  I am making progress, with God's guidance. 

Love,