Tuesday, July 26, 2011

FOOD!!

I picked up an awesome play kitchen for Princess A at my local thrift store for $5 a couple of months back.  She has happily been creating meals for us using empty food boxes and her imagination since then. 

Her 3rd birthday is next month and I wanted to make her some play food to continue to spark that wonderful imagination of hers so my hooks were freed from the monotony of my current project (a baby afghan that I don't think will ever get any bigger no matter how much yarn I hook!) and put them to work on some food!  Here is what I made for her last night:
a Simple Carrot (pattern to come)

Chocolate Wafer Cookies (pattern below)



Thanks to those of you following me on Facebook, plans are also in the works for a cupcake, and I am even picturing maybe a steak as well as a banana, apple, and maybe some grapes.

The Chocolate Wafer cookies (aka Oreos) are super simple to make!  If you want to make your own here is what you will need:

scraps of WW yarn in black and white ( I believe I used Red Heart Super Saver but they were just little balls so I really can't be sure)
size E (3.5 mm hook)
darning needle to assemble

each piece begins with a magic circle.  If you aren't sure how to do this check out the video tutorial if you are a visual learner.  Basically you wrap the yarn 3 times around your finger.  Then insert you hook through the center of this circle and pull up a loop.  Now crochet in the center of the circle (as if this loop circle were your chain circle).  Once you have crocheted all of the stitches for the first round pull the beginning yarn firmly to tighten the circle completely.

Using white, create a magic circle
single crochet in the circle six times then tighten the circle (6 sc)

work 2 single crochets in each of the next six stitches (you are working in rounds so do not join!) to create 12 single crochet on this round

work *2 single crochet in the next next stitch, single crochet in the next stitch.  Repeat from * five more times.  (18 single crochet on this round)  Join to the first sc and fasten off, weave in the ends.

Make two more in black.  On the second black circle leave a long tail and do not weave in the ends.

Layer so that you have a black on the bottom with the right side touching the table, an white layer and a black layer with the right side facing up.  Using the long tail and a darning needle sew around the cookie using a running stitch being sure to catch all layers of the cookie.  That's all there is to it!
P.S. for some great inspiration check out the places I party (where I am sharing this project!) over there on the left side of your screen!  You know you want to!

Until next time,