Tuesday, January 24, 2012

One Word 2012

I have seen this idea floating around the internet and have been really thinking about what word I would chose as my goal or resolution this year.  Haven't heard about it?  The basic concept is this, rather than coming up with a new year's resolution, or a list of things to do this year, chose one word that encompasses everything.  You can read about this here.

So I have spent a lot of time thinking about it and finally chose my word:

I have been holding on to a lot of hurts in my life, a lot of anger over postponed plans and dreams.  I have been so busy looking backwards or forwards that I have lost the pleasures of the moment.  I don't want to do that anymore.  John 14:27 tells us "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid"  Peace is a gift to us, but like all gifts it must be something we accept.  I have decided it is time to accept this gift.  I no longer want a troubled heart, I don't want to worry about the future.


"in ME (Jesus) you may have peace, in the world you will have tribulation, but take heart; I have overcome the world" John 16:33

The first thing I need to do is to focus on the one who gives peace.  As the verse above tells us, it is in Jesus that we have peace, even when things get hard we can still find peace.  (This was a huge ah-ha moment for me sitting in church listening to this sermon.)  So that is what I am focusing on right now.

Since I so often turn to food as a comforter when I don't feel peaceful, I joined an online Bible study based upon Lysa Terkeurst's book Made to Crave: Satisfying Your Deepest Desire with God, Not Food.  In it I have learned so many truths that are helping me to reach my goal of peace in 2012.

So throughout the year, I will be bringing back the scripture cards every week to share scriptures that can help us to either attain the peace God has offered to us, or to help us create a peaceful environment in our homes.  And since accountability is a biggie in the Made to Crave study, I plan to keep you all posted during my journey to reach peace with my physical self as well.  If you are interested in how I am achieving this you can find me on SparkPeople as Sunflowers4Me.  I would love to be friends with you there.

How about you?  Have you chosen a word for 2012?  I would love it if you shared it with me!

Until next time,