Monday, January 9, 2023

2023 Mother Culture Reading list

I am slowly working on getting back to blogging.  Honestly, I don't know what that is going to look like or what direction this blog is going to take - crafts, recipes, devotionals, home school....

I do know that in 2023 I plan to focus on completing things that help me to grow.  So I took my cue from Charlotte Mason, an educator from the late 19th and early 20th centuries, who advocated for mother's to continue their own education.  It is so easy as a home school, stay at home mother to get wrapped up in serving our families and neglecting our own need for mental growth.  Charlotte Mason recognized this and not only worked to create a philosophy of education for children, but she also created a mother's education course.

In this course she created a reading list and exams that  would assist mothers in confirming their Christian faith, the knowledge of caring for their children's mental and physical health, better understanding the principles of education and how to implement them with their own children, and in the area of studying the natural world around them.  You can access much of her original course selections here.  

In the spirit of her course, I created my own list of readings for this year that I want to share with you.  


I selected 3 books from each of the four categories, giving me a goal of reading at least 1 book a month.  Some are shorter (around 200 pages) while others are longer (over 600 pages!!).  Many have been on my To Be Read pile for some time.  My hope is that by creating this list and sharing it I will be motivated to finish them.  

If you want to see what I am reading, you can download a copy of my list here and let me know if there are any additional books you would recommend!